Monday, January 16, 2012

My Daddy & Me

My dad sent me an email today with 2 documents with stories in it. The subject read : 'You can open these using Word'. It made me smile and inspired this post. It also reminded me of how one of my colleagues once told me his little girl was visiting him the coming week. I smiled the very same smile then when he added that his grand-daughter would be bringing her boy-friend along to meet him. Sometimes we foget how cute our fathers really are!! :)

Much is spoken about the mother's love, tenderness and care for her children. I bow to that, being blessed with a mom who is a dream come true. However, it is also true that fathers are as big heroes as moms - its just that its not obvious to the senses.

  My dad with my son

My dad and I were like 2 positive poles - mom said it looked like we had swords in our hands every time we spoke to each other or argued. My opinion was that he did not love me which is why we fought and he never let me do what i wanted. I couldn't stay out late, wear short clothes or speak on the phone after 9pm. My curfew always ended at least 2 hours before that of my friends and it irked me so much! I was SO right and he was SO wrong - is what I though back then.

A few years later, while living alone, I met with an accident in the middle of the night. I woke up in a hospital, adding to my misery was the fact that I wearing a short skirt and people thought I was a 'bad' girl (still a cliche in some parts of India to wear short clothes). I was petrified, my dad was going to kill me!!

My dad n mom flew out on the first flight and took me back home. Nobody asked me why or discussed the 'whats' and the 'ifs' of the situation. They took care of me till I recovered fully. My dad said - I don't want to know how this happened, just promise me you wont do it again! It still brings tears to my eyes and sends jitters down my spine when I think back on this situation in my life. he was SO hurt, not angry, not judgmental not thinking I told you so', just very HURT.

I realize today that I never saw my father's soft side or understood his love for me. I dint see that behind my smiling mom, behind her visits to me that extended to months and the fact that I never had to wish I had something because I already did, was my dad. I did not see that he was not ordering me around but making sure I did not hurt myself when I was grown up, on my own. I realize that had he not grounded me, limited what I could do and have and made sure i was always in my best manners no matter where I was, that I would not be a stable, normal, happy person today. i would not have had the life I have or the relationships I treasure so much.

Times have changed and we get along perfectly well now. We are like good friends. He even sends me stories with instructions on how to open them ;)

4 comments:

still searching.... said...

I loved all ur posts... Especially this one!! Am gonna give my dad a big hug when I go home now..:) thanks J!

still searching.... said...

I loved all ur posts... Especially this one!! Am gonna give my dad a big hug when I go home now..:) thanks J!

Jshree :) said...

:) Thnx for that and yea sumtms we forget that our dads need a hug too!

audi said...

Love your style of writing! Makes me go - "so true" - everytime...Dads are certainly the pillars of most families but inside tht pillar is a soft heart that we often fail to see as kids but find it hidden there once we grow up...someone rightly said 'A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again.' :)